Parts inside your printer are at the end of their service lifeJanuary 26, 2007
Today I had the joy of fixing an Epson Stylus C46 UX printer.
It had the following error: “Parts inside your printer are at the end of their service life. See your printer documentation.”
After a little searching I discovered that most people were saying that “It is simply not worth repairing”, however, I took that as a challange, and decided that if I was going to throw it away anyway I might as well try to fix it first.
Before long I located a page on fixyourownprinter.com‘s forum, which had plenty of details about similar issues.
This is the process I used after reading details on that page:
- Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer.
- Prepare your work area by putting scrap paper down. Have some spare, just incase. You may also require tissue paper. It is also recommended you use protective gloves as the ink will stain your skin for quite some time.
- Unscrew the screw at the back of the printer.
- There are two or three tabs at the back and two at the front. Gently push them in, and then using a bit of force pry apart the cover.
- At the back of the unit you need to locate some white pads, or sponge type things, initially they will seem fine, but they will infact be full of ink. You need to grab a pair of pliers and pull them out one by one, there should be four, put them on your scrap paper.
- Take the scrap paper with the pads on to your sink, turn on the hot tap and hold each one under the tap using the pliers until the water runs clear. If you have protective gloves on it may be worth squeezing the water out also.
- It is recommended that once you have done this, you let them dry.
- Now return the pads back into the printer.
- Put the printer back together, (mind out for the paper alignment, and give it some force), not forgetting the screw at the back.
- Plug in the USB and power cable and turned it ON. (Yes the lights will still flash)
- Download and install the SSC Service Utility for Epson Stylus Printers.
- Select your printer and model number (There is no Stylus C42 UX, so select Stylus C4x), then close the window.
- If it asks if you replaced with the pads; say “YES”. Then close the window.
- You will see a SSC Service Utilitiy icon (it looks like a printer) in the system tray (next to your click), and LEFT click.
- A menu will appear, from here you can click on “Protection counter” (its a red cross), then “reset protection counter”.
- Turn the printer power OFF, wait 10 seconds and then turn it back ON.
If you have problems with paper feed, take it apart again, check everything is in place correctly, push things together tightly, and put it together again.
If you have trouble with print quality, open the lid, clean any ink residue, use the SSC Service Utilitiy to clean the heads.